Adoption Search and Reunion: A Clinical Perspective
The Crestview Country Club
8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
6 CE Contact Hours Marie Dolfi, LCSW Course Description
Adoption searches and reunions of adoptees and birth parents are complex and emotional, often leaving both parties feeling overwhelmed. This training will discuss the reasons an individual chooses a search and reunion, key factors of successful reunion relationships, and the clinician’s role in the process. Participants will be provided with insightful therapeutic techniques for working with adoption triad members, a review of the impact of secrets, trauma, and genetic sexual attraction, and illustrations of the complexity of reunion relationships and family dynamics through case examples, a documentary, and video clips.
1) Identify a minimum of three reasons that individuals want a reunion with their relative.
2) Explain how relinquishment trauma can negatively impact birth parents and adoptees.
3) Define genetic sexual attraction (GSA) and list four actions that will decrease the likelihood of relatives acting on GSA.
4) List four issues that complicate integrating newly found relatives into existing family relationships.
5) List five key factors of successful adoption reunion relationships.
6) Assist clients in identifying, analyzing, and preparing for the complexities of adoption reunions, including relinquishment trauma.
Marie Dolfi, LCSW, is an adoption speaker, advocate, adoption support group leader, a board member for adoption organizations, and has studied relinquishment and adoption issues extensively for over twenty five years. She counsels adoption triad members in her private practice and counts them among her greatest teachers.
Or click here to return to the complete list of Brattleboro Retreat conferences
Any questions? Please call 802-258-4359.
Schedule and Course Outline
Friday, April 24, 2020
The Crestview Country Club, Agawam, Massachusetts
|8:00 AM - 8:30 AM||Registration and Coffee|
|8:30 AM - 10:30 AM||
|10:30 AM - 10:45 AM||Break & Refreshments|
|10:45 AM - 12:15 PM||
|12:15 PM - 1:15 PM||Lunch at the Crestview, included with your registration|
|1:15 PM - 2:30 PM||
|2:30 PM - 2:45 PM||Break and Refreshments|
|2:45 PM - 3:45 PM||
|3:45 PM - 4:00 PM||Questions and Answers|