Brain Death Declaration: Moving Toward Better Quality and Uniformity
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
2:00 - 3:30 pm Eastern Time
Hedi Aguiar RN, MSN, CCRN-K - Moderator
Director, Programs and Communications,
Organ Donation & Transplantation Alliance
David M. Greer, MD, MA, FCCM, FAHA, FNCS, FAAN, FANA - Speaker
Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Vice Chair of Neurology,
Yale University School of Medicine
J. Javier Provencio, MD, FCCM, FAAN, FNCS - Speaker
Louise Nerancy Associate Professor in Neurology, Director, Nerancy Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit, Associate Professor, Center for Brain Immunology and Glia,
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Fernando D. Goldenberg, MD - Speaker
Associate Professor of Neurology and Surgery (Neurosurgery), Co-Director, Neuroscience ICU,
University of Chicago
The goal of this webinar is to prepare physicians to accurately and consistently declare brain death through the uniform application of the American Academy of Neurology Practice Parameters and to educate critical care personnel who assist in or observe the process.
This webinar is for physicians and other healthcare professionals who participate in the declaration of death process.
By the end of the webinar the participant will be able to:
- Identify the steps needed to perform the clinical brain death examination and apnea test.
- Implement strategies to aid the completion of a brain death exam according to the AAN Practice Parameters.
- Identify the prerequisites and ancillary tests required or recommended to declare brain death.
- Develop a process to accurately document the declaration of brain death.
- Assess the significance and impact of inconsistent state laws on the declaration of death.