FEBRUARY 17–APRIL 28, 2019
The opening reception is free and open to the community. Award winners and their teachers are expected to attend to receive their recognition. School principals and superintendents are invited as well. The first-place award winner will address the audience to explain his or her work.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2019
If you are a Maryland high school student who creates visual art, this competition is for you!
The UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (UMUC) ARTS PROGRAM announces a call for entries for a statewide juried art competition. This exhibition is the visual arts competition of the year, so contact your art teacher today!
Each school may submit a maximum of five entries, from five different student artists. These entries should represent the best-of-the-best artwork from your school. All entries must be submitted with a high-quality image, which the jurors will use to select roughly 45 works from throughout Maryland for the exhibition. These works will be displayed in the Arts Program Main Gallery at UMUC.
Teachers will select the school’s five student artists and serve as the main contact, working with the students to submit their entries.
Joan Bevelaqua, Artist and Collegiate Professor, UMUC
Christopher Harrington, Artist and Chair, Department of Fine Arts, University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Preston Sampson, Artist
Awards will be presented to the first-, second-, and third-place winners (only one award winner per school). The artwork of the first-place award winner will be featured on a poster, which will be distributed to as many Maryland schools as possible. The poster will also be featured on the UMUC Arts Program website, along with pictures of the student and his or her teacher. An image of the first-place artwork will appear on the exhibition brochure and invitation.
- $5,000 cash award ($1,000 to the student, $4,000 to the school arts program or to the general operating fund if there is no arts program)
- Poster of the award-winning artwork distributed to Maryland schools
- $2,500 cash award ($500 to the student, $2,000 to the school)
- $1,000 cash award ($250 to the student, $750 to the school)
Fourth- and Fifth-Place Awards (Honorable Mention)
- Red ribbon recognition on the artwork during the run of the exhibition
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Students must be enrolled in a Maryland high school at the time of submission and may submit one original work of art in painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, fiber, glass, ceramics, wood, metal, photography, graphic design, or mixed media.
- All work submitted must be original (no reproductions) and must have been completed between 2017 and 2018.
- Each school may submit a maximum of five entries (one per student).
- All entries must be submitted electronically by the school, with only one image per entry.
- Images must be labeled with the artist’s last name and title of the work. (Use as many characters as you can.)
- Electronic application submissions constitute an agreement between the artist, school, and UMUC, and the artist declares that all information is correct.
- Artists must adhere to UMUC’s schedule.
- Artists are responsible for getting the works to the Arts Program at UMUC, 3501 University Boulevard East, Adelphi, MD 20783.
- Works that are altered from the original submitted image will not be accepted.
- Works cannot be removed until the end of the exhibition.
- All works must be suitably prepared for installation. The curator reserves the right to deny entry if any work is deemed unsuitable for display or too difficult to install.
- All selected artists will be notified electronically.
SCHEDULE AND DEADLINES
- Submission Deadline: December 3, 2018
- Selection: December 4-9, 2018
- Notification to Artists: December 11, 2018
- Artwork Received by UMUC by: January 4, 2019 (UMUC closed December 24-Jan, 1, 2019)
- Exhibition Opens: February 17, 2019
- Opening Reception: February 17, 2019
- Exhibition Closes: April 28, 2019
- Artwork Pickup: April 29, 2019 - May 3, 2019
Please enter your email address and click on the Submit button.