The Society for Military History is soliciting nominations for its annual Distinguished Book Awards for 2022. Established in 1933, the Society is devoted to stimulating and advancing the study of military history. Its membership (today more than 2,600) includes many of the most prominent scholars, soldiers, and citizens interested in military history. The Society encourages research and publication across the whole range of military history (ancient, medieval, and modern, including related popular studies). The Society publishes The Journal of Military History, the leading international scholarly journal of military history.
The Distinguished Book Awards
For the 2022 awards, books published (copyright date) in 2020 and 2021 are eligible. Works previously nominated for the Society's book awards may be resubmitted provided they were published in 2020. At the discretion of the Committee, nominated books will be considered for one or more of the following prize categories:
- American Military History (works by single or multiple authors reflecting original research and original contributions to military history)
- Non-American Military History (works by single or multiple authors reflecting original research and original contributions to military history)
- Reference Works
- Biography and Memoirs
- First Book (a new category for works that represent a single author’s first monograph)
- Trade Press
The committee will make its selections for awards by January 15, 2022. The Society will give the awards at its annual meeting in Fort Worth, Texas on April 28-May 1, 2022. There, the author of each prize-winning book will receive recognition at the Society's annual awards presentation, an award plaque, and a $1000 prize.
The Committee must receive books for consideration for the 2022 awards by 1 October 2021. In order to make a submission, publishers must follow this process for each volume they intend to submit:
- Complete a copy of this online submission form, including all of the necessary information for each volume.
- Send a copy of each book for consideration to each committee member at the addresses/contact details listed in your submission confirmation email before 1 October 2021. Entries which arrive after 1 October 2022 may be deferred for consideration in the 2023 awards at the discretion of the Committee.
The Committee recognizes the expense to authors and publishers associated with submitting five copies of each nominated book and therefore encourages serious submissions only. Please note that books will not be returned and that only award winners will be notified of selection. Books must be submitted in physical copy, and electronic versions will not be considered.
David Morgan-Owen, PhD, FRHistS
Chair, SMH Book Awards Committee
Email: [email protected]
Publisher: enter the email address for your contact person below and click SUBMIT to begin your application.